The greens, attached to the beet roots are large, purple-green variegated leaves.
Beet greens are not as bitter as kale and dandelion. They have a texture similar to Swiss chard. The taste is mild and delicious.
Nutrient Value and Health Benefits:
* Incredibly rich in nutrients, concentrated in vitamins and minerals as well as carotenoids such as beta-carotene and lutein/zeaxanthin.
* Excellent source of flavonoid anti-oxidants, and vitamin A. Beet Greens contain these compounds several times more than do the roots.
* Vitamin A is required maintaining healthy mucus membranes and skin and is essential for vision.
* Consumption of natural vegetables rich in flavonoids helps to protect from lung and oral cavity cancers.
Tips for Use:
* Beet greens, just like other greens, should be washed thoroughly in clean running water and rinsed in saline water for about 30 minutes in order to remove soil, sand, dirt, and any insecticide residues before use.
* Top greens should be used while they are fresh.
* Beet greens can be prepared like spinach or Swiss chard or blended into a smoothie without detection!